Submitted by Matthew Hyde, The TASA Group, Inc.
Have you noticed the streets, restaurants, and bars are more crowded in Center City? According to The Greater Philadelphia Tourism and Marketing Corporation (GPTMC), Philadelphia was packed with visitors in 2009.
On May 18, 2010, The Greater Philadelphia Tourism and Marketing Corporation released its annual visitation and tourism report, Tourism 2010 Report to the Region: Worth the Trip, and the numbers are impressive:
- 36 million domestic travelers visited Philadelphia in 2009.
- In 2009, visitor spending in Greater Philadelphia generated 8.2 billion ($22 million/day).
- Tourism sustained 83,664 jobs in the region.
- Tourism spending accounted for $1.2 billion in federal, state, and local taxes.
- For the sixth consecutive year, Saturday was the busiest night of the week in Center City. Downtown Philadelphia’s hotel occupancy rate was 81 percent (outperforming Baltimore, Boston, and Washington, DC).
On May 24, YPN will hold its annual Success in the City Event at the World Café Live. Meryl Levitz, President and CEO, The Greater Philadelphia Tourism and Marketing Corporation will join Sharon Pinkenson (Executive Director, Greater Philadelphia Film Office) and Martin Welch (Senior Vice President & Chief Financial Officer of the International Group, ARAMARK) as the panelists for the event. This year’s theme is “vitality.”
From the numbers in the report, I would proffer that the region is full of life (despite the challenging economic conditions). But I’m interested to hear what Ms. Levitz, and the other panelist have to say on the 24th…
Here some questions I have for the panel:
- What led to surge in tourism?
- Is it sustainable?
- How can YPN members help The Greater Philadelphia Tourism and Marketing Corporation?
- How will the proposed budget affect visitation and tourism in Philadelphia in 2010 and beyond?
To learn more about The Greater Philadelphia Tourism and Marketing Corporation, visit http://www.visitphilly.com.
You can follow Visit Philly on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/visitphilly.
About the Author:
Matt Hyde is the Director of Business Development and Client Service at The TASA Group, Inc. (www.tasanet.com), the nation’s leading provider of testifying and consulting experts. Matt is a member of the YPN Marketing and PR Committee; CORA Services’ (www.coraservices.org) Emerging Leaders Committee; and is active in many organizations throughout the Philadelphia area. He can be reached at [email protected]